Saturday, January 31, 2009

007_26 Jan 2008

SMPN 2 TANGERANG
ENGLISH CLUB
Grade 7
Name : ……………………………
Origin Class : …………………..
Class : …………………..


Do you still remember how to say these?

09.00 it is nine o’ clock
06.30 it is half past six
08.15 it is quarter past eight
10.45 it is quarter to eleven
07.10 it is ten past seven
06.50 it is ten to seven
Aryanto WS,SPd>D:\1_EDUCATION\ANTO\smp 2\English\CLUB\12\7|007_26 Jan 2008.docx

If you do, say these aloud:
04.40 00.25 04.49 06.20
12.45 01.58 05.15 07.30
11.50 05.43 03.00 10.10

Guess what time these are:
1. It is just one o’clock isn’t it? We’re too early, I guess. :
2. I’ll pick you up at nine forty five, if you don’t mind. :
3. She arrived here at twelve past ten, while you were gone. :
4. No wonder he’s late, he woke up at quarter to seven. :
5. I guess, I cannot come at half past three. It’s because I have to pick up my wife first. :
6. I’ll see you tomorrow at quarter past five. Don’t forget to bring your sport shoes! :
7. Don’t worry, she’s on the way. However, it’s just twenty past nine, right? :
8. I have got to pick my wife at four, and I will call you then. :
9. Sometimes, the driver can’t come at seven, because there’s always a traffic jam. :
10. I wonder why we must pick them at seven, because we always wait for them to dress :
up.

Read these sentences:
It’s just eleven o’clock. It’s still early.
It’s almost twelve o’clock. It’s late.
I always pick her up at four thirty.
I never get up before eight on Sundays.
Do you usually eat breakfast?


Read this passage.
‘What are you doing?’ my landlord asked.
‘I’m leaving, Mr. Han,’ I answered.
‘Why are you leaving?’ she asked. ‘You have been here only a week.’
‘A week too long, Mr. Han,’ I said. ‘There are too many rules in this boarding house. My old friends never come to visit me. Dinner is always at six o’clock, so I frequently went to bed hungry. You don’t like noise, so I rarely listen to the radio. The fan doesn’t work, so I always feel hot. This is a terrible place for a boy like me. Goodbye, Sir.’

Note the position of the words in italics in these sentences:
I frequently go to bed hungry.
I rarely listen to the radio.
I always feel hot.
I never get up early on Sundays.
I sometimes stay in bed until lunch time.

pre-verb adverbs (frequency) are:
often, seldom, rarely, ever, never, always, sometimes, generally, usually, just, almost, nearly, quite, hardly, scarcely.

Usually, we use those adverbs to answer the question ‘How often?’.
So, where should we put them in a sentence?
We place them right before the verb of the sentence.

(Nowadays, ‘never’ is commonly used merely as a reinforced form of ‘not’. Ex: you need never call me as sir, just call me my name.)
Aryanto WS,SPd>D:\1_EDUCATION\ANTO\smp 2\English\CLUB\12\7|007_26 Jan 2008.docx

Write these sentences with the given words in the right place:
1. She answers my letters rarely


2. We work after six o’clock. never


3. Do you go to work by car? always


4. We spend our holidays at home. sometimes


5. I buy magazines. often


6. I have seen an elephant. never


7. We try to work well. always


8. I do my homework. usually


9. A true friend stays long. always


10. He gets up before six. never


The pre-verb adverbs (frequency) also come after the verb be.
She is always late.
He is always a good student.
Aryanto WS,SPd>D:\1_EDUCATION\ANTO\smp 2\English\CLUB\12\7|007_26 Jan 2008.docx

Write these sentences with the given words in the right place:

1. We are very busy. generally


2. They are sad. never


3. I am going for a walk. just


4. You are look happy. never


5. Dinner is at six o’ clock. always

No comments:

Search (Cari)

related links 001