Saturday, January 31, 2009

INVITATIONS, REQUESTS & ASKING PERMISSION

SMPN 2 TANGERANG
ENGLISH CLUB
Grade 7 and 8

INVITATIONS, REQUESTS & ASKING PERMISSION

USEFUL EXPRESSIONS
Learn and read aloud the following expressions:
Invitations (undangan)
Would you like to come to …
May I ask you to come to …
I want to invite you to come to…
I would like you to come to …
I would like if you come to …
I want you to come to …
Please come to …
Let’s come to …
Shall we go to … Sure.
Of course.
Okay.
All right.
Why not?
I’m afraid I can’t.
I’m sorry, I can’t.
I don’t think so.
Of course not!
Requests (permintaan)
Would you please, …?
Would you …. , please?
Please, …
May I ask you to …, please?
I would like if you …, please?
It would be nice if you …, please?
Can I ask you to…, please?
Can you …, please?
I want you to …, please? Sure.
Of course.
Okay.
All right.
Why not?
No, I wouldn’t.
No, I cannot.
Of course not.
I won’t.
Asking a permission (meminta ijin)
Please, excuse me to …
May I …
I would like to …
Would you let me …
I’d like to ask your permission for … (V-ing), please?
I ask your permission to …
Can I …, please?
Would you let me …, please?
It would be easier if you allow me to …
Let me …, please?
I need to …, please?
Excuse me, but I think I have to …, please? Sure.
Of course.
Okay.
All right.
Why not?
Yes, please.
No, you wouldn’t.
No, you cannot.
Of course not.
Please, don’t!
I don’t think so.


CONVERSATION I
Read the following conversation with your classmates:

Ambar : Hi, Intan! How are you today?
Intan : Hi, Ambar! I’m great. How about you?
Ambar : I’m happy this morning. Would you like to go shopping with me this evening? I need to have a pair of shoes.
Intan : I would love to. Will you pick me up?
Ambar : Yes, of course! At six o’clock?
Intan : I afraid I can’t. I need to deliver some packages to my new customer. What about at seven?
Ambar : That would be nice. Okay, see you later!
Intan : See you too!

Answer the following questions about the conversation:
1. Who are the speakers?
2. Will they go for shopping?
3. What are kind of things Ambar need to buy?
4. Why did Intan refuse to be picked up at six o’clock?
5. When will Ambar pick Intan up at her house?

Conversation Exercise:
1. Invite your friend to do homework with you.
2. Invite your friend to find latest information about a scholarship on internet.

CONVERSATION II
Read the following conversation with your classmates:
Rudy : Good afternoon, may I speak to Ibnu, please?
Ibnu : Ibnu is speaking. May I know to whom I speak, please?
Rudy : Hi, Ibnu! This is Rudy.
Ibnu : Hi, Rudy! What’s up, dude?
Rudy : I have a big… big… big problem. Would you please call me back? Because I don’t have enough credit on my cell phone. He..he..
Ibnu : Oh, dear! Okay, okay. Please, wait a minute.

(Several minutes later)
Ibnu : Okay, now would you tell me what’s going on?
Rudy : I really need your help, dude. Please come to my house as soon as possible. I cannot turn my computer on. I have no idea what’s happened.
Ibnu : Could you tell me, what did you do the last time to your computer?
Rudy : I have just copied some files from internet into my computer via my flash disk, and somehow, I cannot see anything on my screen.
Ibnu : Please, check your cable. It might be you just have pulled it out by accident.
Rudy : Let me check it first. Mmm…. Yes, you are right! Now, it’s on already. Thank you very much, dude! You are my hero!
Ibnu : Oh, come on! You don’t have to mention it. It’s my pleasure to help you.
Rudy : Okay, see you at school!
Ibnu : See you too!

Vocabulary:
I would love to : Saya setuju
Shopping : Berbelanja
Pick someone up : Menjemput seseorang
Deliver : Mengantar
Package : Paket/ barang kiriman
Phone Credit : Pulsa telepon
Speaker : Pembicara
What’s up : Apa kabar
Call someone back : Menelepon balik
Have no idea : Tidak tahu
As soon as possible : Secepat mungkin
Turn something on : Menyalakan sesuatu
Copy : Menyalin
Via : Melalui
Somehow : Entah bagaimana
Screen : Layar
Check : Memeriksa
Pull out : Mencabut
By accident : Tidak sengaja
Dude : Sobat, teman, sahabat
Mention : Menyebutkan
It’s my pleasure : Dengan senang hati





Tips today:
Success is the sum of small efforts, repeatedly in every single day.
- So, there’s no need to cheat, right?

No comments:

Search (Cari)

related links 001