Saturday, January 31, 2009

Listening & Reading Practice

SMPN 2 TANGERANG
ENGLISH CLUB
Grade 8
Nama: ……………………………..
Kelas Asal: …………………..
Kelas Club: …………………..


The Lucky Envelope

A golden envelope fell through the letter box. On the front it said, “You’ve Won!”
“Open it!” shouted Mum, Dalia and Ahmed. Dad opened it. They had won a free holiday.
“I hope it’s to the seaside,” said Dalia. “I can swim and make sand castle.”
“No, I hope it’s a camping holiday,” said Dad. “I can sleep in a tent and get lots of fresh air.”
“No, I’d like to go on a cruise,” said Ahmed. “I can watch dolphins and eat lots of nice food.”
“Well, I’d like to go to a big city,” said Mum. “I can go shopping and go to the theatre.”
Then they started to argue. They couldn’t decide. Beach! Camping! Cruise! City!
They argued until it was dark. Then the phone rang. Dalia answered it.
“Hello this is Lucky Holidays. You’ve won a holiday to sunny Alexandria.”
“That’s where my grandma lives.”
“This is Grandma!”
“Oh Grandma, You tricked us!”
“You are all invited to spend your summer holiday with me.”
They packed their suitcases and spent two fun weeks at Grandma’s.
Ahmed got his nice food, Dad got his fresh air, Mum went shopping and Dalia swam in the sea.
Everyone was happy.

Who says what?
I’d like to go to camping. Mum
I’d like to go to a big city. Ahmed
I’d like to go to seaside. Dalia
I’d like to go on a cruise. Dad.

What can they do?
I can eat lots of nice food. Ahmed
I can go shopping.
I can get lots of fresh air. Mum
I can sleep in a tent.
I can watch dolphins. Dalia
I can go to the theatre
I can swim in the sea Dad.
I can make sandcastles.

Where would you like to go?
I’d like to go to ………………………………………
What can you do there?
I can …………………………………………………


The Lucky Seed

A long time ago, a farmer took a big bag of seeds to sell at the market.
Suddenly, his cart’s wheel hit a big stone. Bump! One of the seeds fell out of the bag, and onto the hot, dry ground.
“I’m scared,” said the seed. “I need to be safe under the soil.” Just then a buffalo walked on the seed and pushed it into the ground.
“I’m thirsty,” said the seed. “I need some water to help me grow.” Just then it started to rain.
The next morning the seed had a little green shoot. All day it sat in the sun and grew taller and taller.
The next day, it has its first leaf. This helped it to catch sunlight and grow.
That evening a hungry bird tried to eat it. But the seed had roots to help it stay in the ground.
Many years of sunshine and rain passed. The seed became a plant, and then the plant became a tree.
Today if you visit the countryside you can see the tree. It is big and strong and now makes seeds of its own.

1. How come that the seed fell from the farmer’s cart?
………………………………………………….……………………………………………………………….…
2. Why the seed was scared when it fell off of the cart?
………………………………………………….……………………………………………………………….…
3. What are the things a seed need to grow to be a tree?
………………………………………………….………………………………………………………………….

Write on your own how to grow a seed to be a tree!

……………………………………………………………
……………………………………………………………
……………………………………………………………
……………………………………………………………
……………………………………………………………
……………………………………………………………
……………………………………………………………
……………………………………………………………
Sentences are made up of clauses…
Clauses are made up of phrases…
Phrases are made up of words…

No comments:

Search (Cari)

related links 001