Saturday, January 31, 2009

Simple Tenses

SMPN 2 TANGERANG
ENGLISH CLUB
Grade 7 and 8 This copy is belong to:
Name: …………………………………..
Class: …………………..


Basically, there are only three tenses in English grammar. They are Past Tense, Present Tense and Future Tense.
Past Tense
It describes something that was going on at the past.
(+) I ate apple yesterday.
We went to the movie last night.
She was my classmate in kindergarten.

(-) I did not do my homework.
She did not call me last night.
They were not with me yesterday.

(?) Did Sari do her homework? Yes, she did.
Did we go to the movie last night? No, we did not.
Was he our teacher in primary school? Yes, he was.
Verbal S+ V2 + Object

Present Tense
It describes something that is going on at the moment of speaking.
(+) I eat apple.
Murni goes to school.
Budi is my best friend.

(-) We do not want to go to Bogor now.
For this time being, I don’t know.
She does not eat apple.

(?) Where are the boys? They are playing basketball.
What is Andi doing? She is studying her lessons.
Who is he? He is my best friend.
Verbal S+ V1 (s/es) + Object

Future Tense

It describes something that will be happened in the future (never happened before yet).
(+) I will do my homework tomorrow.
She will be my English teacher on the next semester.

(-) I won’t do my homework tomorrow.
I will not be busy next Sunday.

(?) Will you come to my house? Yes, I will.
Will I be a president? No, you will not, I guess.
Verbal Subject+shall/will+V1+Object
Note: if we use negative form, place ‘NOT’ between ‘will’ and ‘be’.

LET’S PRACTICE!
Exercise 1
Change words in the brackets into the correct form.
1. My mother (ask) me to clean the house yesterday.
2. She (go) to my house last week.
3. Father (buy) me a set of water color last night.
4. I (clean) the room now.
5. He (have) breakfast now.
6. The children (play) in the yard.
7. We (do) our homework tomorrow.
8. I (watch) the movie with my friends on the next weekend.
9. Father (read) the instruction before turn the machine up.
10. My teacher (give) me a candy if I can sit properly.

Exercise 2
Put the same sentences into the negative form.

Exercise 3
Put the same sentences into the interrogative form.

Now, make yourself some examples for each of the tenses.

No comments:

Search (Cari)

related links 001