Saturday, January 31, 2009

Expressions

EXPRESSIONS AND RESPONDS

Greetings (salam/ tegur sapa)
• Good morning! • Good morning!
• Good Afternoon! • Good Afternoon!
• Good day/ noon! • Good day/ noon!
• Good evening! • Good evening!
• How are you? • I’m fine, thank you. And you?
• How are things at home/ school? • Everything’s fine.
• How do you do? • How do you do?
• I’m happy/ glad/ pleased/ delighted to see/ meet you. • I’m glad to see you too.
• It’s my/ a pleasure to see/ meet you. • It’s my pleasure to see you too.
• How is your father/ mother/ sister/ brother? • He’s fine, thank you.
• Is he/ she alright? • He’s alright, thanks.
• What’s wrong? • Nothing’s wrong.
• What’s up? • All great.
• What’s the matter? • It’s OK.
• Is anything alright? • Yes, everything’s alright.
• What happened? • Nothing’s happened.
• What brings you here? • I want to …

Congratulations (ucapan selamat)
• Happy New Year! • Happy New Year!
• Happy Birthday! • Thank you.
• Happy Anniversary! • Thank you.
• Happy Feast Day! • Thank you.
• Congratulation! • Thank you.
• Congratulation on your engagement! • Thank you.
• Congratulation on your marriage! • Thank you.
• Congratulation on your promotion! • Thank you.
• Congratulation on getting a new job/ a scholarship! • Thank you.
• Congratulation on your passing exams! • Thank you.
• Congratulation on the birth of your son/ daughter! • Thank you.

Parting (perpisahan)
• Good bye! • Bye!
• Bye-bye! • Bye!
• I hope I’ll see you again! • Sure!
• See you again! • See you too!
• See you later! • See you too!
• See you soon! • See you too!
• See you tonight! • See you too!
• See you tomorrow! • See you too!
• See you next week/ month/ year! • See you too!
• So long! • Bye!
• Good luck! • You too!
• Best of luck! • You too!
• May God bless you! • May God bless you!
• God bless you! • God bless you too!
• Good night! • Good night!
• Please give my best regards to your mother! • I will.
• I must say goodbye. • Ok, bye!

Excuses (maaf/ penyesalan)
• May I beg you a pardon? • I was just saying that … (repeating what have been said before).

• Pardon?
• I am sorry. • It’s okay.
• I am sorry for coming late.
• It’s all my fault
• It’s very regrettable.
• Please, forgive me. • I forgive you.
• Please, don’t be angry. • I am not. It’s okay.
• Excuse, me. • Yes, please.
• I am sorry that you didn’t come to see me. • Yes, me too.

Thanks (ucapan terima kasih)
• Thank you very much/ a lot/ anyway. • You’re welcome; or
• It’s okay; or
• Don’t mention it.
• Thank you.
• Thanks.
• Many thanks.
• I’m very grateful.
• It was very kind of you.
• I don’t know how to thank you.

Requests (permohonan/ permintaan)
• Please, wait a minute. • It’s okay, I don’t mind.
• Would you wait a minute?
• Would you mind waiting a minute?
• I would like to borrow this book, please? • Yes, please.
• I would like to borrow this book if I may.
• I wonder if I could borrow this book.

Suggestions (saran/ anjuran)
• Let’s go to the cinema. • Okay, let’s go!
• Shall we go to the movie? • Yes, please.
• I think you had better take a taxi. • Yes, I think so. Thanks.
• I think you should take him to the hospital. • Yes, I think so.
• How about taking him to the hospital? • Yes, that’s a good idea.

Introduction (perkenalan)
• May I introduce myself to you …
• Can I introduce myself to you …
• I would like to introduce myself to you …
• Let me introduce myself to you ...
Examples:
You are a new student and you introduce yourself.
Hi friends, I would like to introduce myself to you. My name is ……I live in ……my home is not far from here. I was born in……I like this town very much. I have……brother(s)/ sister(s). My favorite food/music/sport is……and my hobby is……I want to be a……in the future. I think that’s enough for my introducing and thanks very much for your attention.
Practice:
1. You are applying as a new secretary. You must introduce yourself to your boss at interview.
2. You are an artist and introduce yourself in a journalist interview.

No comments:

Search (Cari)

related links 001